Freelance Editing for Small Business Owners
It’s okay for the first draft to stink. In fact if you’re writing efficiently, it should stink. But the final version better draw readers in like just-brewed morning coffee.
Professional writers know they need editors. Experienced, amateur writers know the same thing. They know they’re too close to their own writing to catch easily overlooked errors. They also know that mistakes in business writing damages
- Business credibility
- Personal credibility
- Work efficiency
- Cost containment
The cost in business credibility can be especially high. Businesses invest a lot of time, effort, and money in marketing and client communication. If that writing has typos; spelling mistakes; or poor word choice, grammar, or logical development, the writing mars the company’s reputation and its relationship with prospects, clients, vendors, etc.
If you have errors in your marketing writing, you may actually be pushing prospects away rather than drawing them in. The resources you’ve invested in writing is wasted if that writing contains mistakes that show you don’t pay attention to details.
Types of Editing Services Offered
To help business owners increase their business success–especially in marketing and sales–I provide a variety of editing services.
- Developmental Editing. Great for business owners who know they need some marketing content but aren’t sure what. Developmental editing is a kind of coaching to help writers determine exactly who their audience is, what topics would most interest their audience (and consequently improve SEO for content published online), how the manuscript should be organized and structured, and provide accountability to help them meet deadlines.
- Substantive Editing. Sometimes after a piece is written, it needs extensive work to improve its organization, logical development, and resonance with its intended audience. Depending on the author’s skill with written English, it may also need significant copy-editing at the sentence level to avoid confusing readers or make them quit reading and look elsewhere. This large scale kind of editing is called substantive editing or sometimes heavy editing.
- Copy-Editing. When most people think of editing, copy-editing is what they have in mind. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are reviewed and corrected at this level of editing. Facts are checked and style consistency is reviewed. This kind of editing is also called light editing or mechanical editing.
- Proofreading. Usually proofreading is now thought of as the last editing pass before a piece is published or sent to a commercial printer. By the time a piece gets to the proofreading stage, all the above editing should be completed and suggested changes accepted. Proofreading is done as a final check before the piece is sent to its audience.
Do You Want This Kind of Content Edited?
As a freelance editor, I provide an extra pair of eyes to help my clients’ writing shine. I edit
- Web pages
- Landing pages
- Professional biographies
- White papers
- Blog posts
- Policies and procedures for business operations
- And more
If you have something you want edited and it’s not on the list above, contact me.
I’ve over 20 years of experience editing business writing. Whether you’re a business owner in Concord, California; the San Francisco East Bay’s Tri-Valley area; or beyond, contact me if you want to ensure your business-related writing is easy to read, means what it’s supposed to mean, and doesn’t have mistakes that make you look bad.
You can request a free Words For Wealth consultation for in-depth advice or call or email for a quick chat. Let me help your business prosper.